Thursday, February 17

Screw A/W 11, I Wanna Wear This Now


I hated DKNY when I was younger because of those cheap and nasty looking logo tops the brand was famed for.  Ever since I was little I've had an aversion to people who advertise their (apparent) wealth on their bodies, and the brands that cash in on this by selling clothes with their name emblazoned all over them.

Cult brands with recognisable logos I can deal with.  At least an aesthetically pleasing logo has some artistic merit; merely putting your name across something actually cheapens its value.  Look at French Connection with its FCUK years as an example - I'd never go back to the brand now, even if I did think the campaign was quite clever at the time (I was 13 and had only just discovered the expletive that French Connection were punning.  Punning?  Is that a word?).

Donna Karan's managed to make me overlook ten years of dismissal with this AW11 90's Mod-referenced collection.  There's something so now about it, even though it's so 90's it still seems utterly relevant.  I love that the colours are simple, with that expensive looking navy and black palette being revived with pops of clashing reds, oranges and pinks.  The fabrics used are also luxurious, with differing textures used in the same looks so as to inject glamour into grungy street style.  With not a logo in sight.

It's one of those 'capsule wardrobe' types of collections you see in magazines, where they lay out some relevant seasonal pieces, along with some classics, and show you how to make a week's worth of outfits out of minimal items.  

I'd like the navy and black ankle boots, the black puffa jacket, the black dress with the peter pan collar, the multicoloured dress, the striped jumper, the kilt...Actually, screw the capsule wardrobe: I want it all.

What would you pick?

(Check me out getting excited about winter wear.  Makes a change eh?)

(Images: Style.com)

3 comments:

  1. I had exactly the same feelings re: DKNY and FCUK. I have a problem with the prada logo as well, especially on those hideous nylon rucksacks they used to make. Let's make our super expensive alledgedly high-end bags look about as appealing as a Chinese knock off instead of vice-versa.

    I like the stripey top (always like stripes) and the Peter Pan collar dress, though I think the latter would probably look dreadful on me. Good on Alexa Chung though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have some stripey trousers that were those shades of orange and pink actually. Those skin tight flared leggings that were popular in clubland back in the 90s. Hmm. Not sure if I should admit that. Was I weirdly prescient?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, I completely agree! I understand when high-end goods are expensive as they practically qualify as art when they are as beautiful and avant garde as they can sometimes me. Putting a name across a plain product is incredibly lazy and is tantamount to everything that is wrong with fashion.

    Stripes never look passe do they? I'm wearing a breton top right now actually : )

    My intial thought at the peter pan collar dress was that it was very alexa chung. Perhaps DKNY was inspired by her, she must be on their radar as she lives in New York now.

    And I reckon you were very prescient. Should have kept them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...